IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How others see thee
Came across this editorial page by the senior technology editor at Electronic Design (special section on 'embedded'). Theme is Gresham's Law - bad money drives out the good: applied in his field. Some quips:

..bad managers drive out the good..

Take programmers for instance. They started out coding bit field by bit field, then loosened up a little with assembly and worked at the application level with C and Pascal. Now they're working at the object level with C++ and Java.

Thus programmers now work at higher, more abstract levels. But these languages, coupled with more memory and faster CPUs, have also engendered a lower class of programmers. "We can afford inefficient code", says management, and that's just what it gets. The inefficient, grotesque code now produced in C is truly awesome, and that's nothing compared to what these folks do in C++.

He had a few things to say about hardware too, re HDL's gift to such: programmers as logic designers.

It's hard for HDL designers to visualize datapath flow, roughly 90% of a design. The result is an increasing number of half-baked, inefficient, ineffective designs, sustained by more and more gates and faster logic.

In years past, engineering epitomized careful, elegant design. No more. Bad design, armed with technology and tools, is driving out good design. Before, hardware had the edge over software design. Will hardware and software now compete to see which is worse? Let's add tools to keep the good.

so saith Ray Weiss in 9/3/01 issue.

New Bad managers drive out the good programmers
It is the truth. Bad managers also feel that they can design user interfaces better than a developer with over 10 years experience. Just give the managers a copy of Viso or some paint program and then they think the time it takes them to design the new interface in Viso/Paint will be the time it takes the developers to code and debug it. If it takes them 3 hours to design the new interface, they thing that it will take that long to code, test, and implement it. They have no frelling clue as to what it takes to redesign a program, debug it, and make sure that it is of the best quality. It could take days, weeks, or even months to work out all the details and get it exactly the way they wanted it. Even longer if they keep making changes as the developer is working on it.

This, my friends, is my case.

It is like being given a map of Detroit, to drive in Chicago, only the people you stop and ask directions for are not being very helpful and either say "You can't get here from there" or "What do you think I am, your mother?" or some other smart-alec answer. Combine that with the bad managers listed above, being stuffed into a small cubicle, having medical conditions knock me down low, and other factors and even Atlas would pat me on the back for carrying around so much weight. :(

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
     How others see thee - (Ashton) - (1)
         Bad managers drive out the good programmers - (orion)

Anality R'US.
59 ms