IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You are forgiven for lancing my childhood hero.
I recall that my view (and my little brother's) of Illych when we returned from the USSR was the cause of some worry for my father. It was 1970 when we returned and all my little brother and I could talk about was what a truly terrific human being Vladimir was.We told all of our friends, relatives, parents of friends, etc. that Lenin was the greatest thing to ever hit the earth and that we should all try to be New Soviet Men when we grew up.

Of course, nearly everyone in the US thought my father had lost his mind and irreparably injured ours.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New how many Americans would recognise Felix anyway
perhaps losing the whole point of the exercise. A nice gothic script plus a strikingly handsome blonde haired blue eyed boy might have done as well,
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: You are forgiven for lancing my childhood hero.
I doubt whether Lenin would have had much patience with the posthumous cult of personality erected around him--we have the testimony of Krupskaya that "such things only depressed him"--although, as a realist in matters of acquiring and exercising power he might have felt obliged to acknowledge its effectiveness as an iconic anchor almost infinitely adaptable to subsequent shifts in Party line. Certainly as a visual he is far more appealing--even charismatic--than his ghastly successor (not much rendered graphically once safely dead, whereas Vladimir Illych had the benefit of another four decades of increasingly sophisticated official treatments) whose visage in even the most adoring depictions seems always to convey first and foremost a sense of stolid menace.

I still have in my collection a LOOK magazine from the early 1960s with a glowering Lenin on its cover. "Lenin:" the copy blares "The True Story of the Evil Genius Who Created the Communist Threat to Our World" (it was always reassuring to me, as a child who'd taken an early interest in the Cold War, to know that our free and impartial press could be relied upon to give us the straight poop, whereas those poor devils on the other side were being fed nuthin' but propaganda--I've got a copy of LIFE of roughly the same vintage that includes a scathing assessment of Kerouac, Ginsberg and the Beats: change the names and modify a few relevant details and you could easily pass it off as a Soviet literary apparatchik's sneering attack on "rootless cosmopolitans" in literature--the tone is spot-on). Inside the lavishly illustrated article I remember a photo of young Ulyanov as a tot, and the headline: "The Little Boy Who Had No Friends Grows Up to be a Man without Pity."

Lenin's a difficult figure for me to bring into focus. I'm prepared to acknowledge the purity of his motives, but I think he was one of those characters who, in working tirelessly for the interests of humanity as he saw them, was perfectly indifferent to the sufferings of actual human beings consequent to the working out of this desirable abstract (frankly I think that Ralph Nader is cut from a bolt of similar, albeit flimsier cloth). That his legacy was deformed by Stalinism seems unarguable, but it seems equally true that he was largely responsible, intentionally or no, for preparing the ground from which that poisonous vine sprouted.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New My scholarship is too defective to corroborate the
implications of Vlad's personal blindspots from a sufficiency of others' testimonials - but your conclusion appears right-on - and maybe also re Nader; there's always much to be read in a face and.. his practically broadcasts.

True Believers - the spawn of the tawdry pre-packeaged God-Experience which infects a large majority of homo-sap lifeforms - seems the underlying cause of why Causes attract the 'beneficent' harvesters of this negative energy.

Fear antedates the whole process, of course - those who crave Certainty in an illusionary 'world of duality' appear rarely ever to grok the implications of that very duality, and the leaders of the grade-school religious Corps obfuscate to preserve their sinecures, as with any other bizness. D'Oh. Wonder why they Do That !?

Poor Vlad? yet.. his education was sufficient for him to have foreseen the implications of his entire enchilada; just another grad student (or any old marlowe) Certain that His Formula would Work This Time: if only someone would give him the Guns and Butter to prevail over the loosers who weren't as smart as He! (Don't we have another word or two for such deep personal feelings of omnyi-petulance?)

Ashton

Caution: the University is filled with Ideas.
These are dangerous for the personally-unfulfilled!
Consent of parent / guardian required.
No refunds for unrealized dreams.
No psychiatric credit for those who elect Neocone-headism.
New the heart of any revolution contains its own greatness
in any mass movement (small or large mass) those at or near the center always have a patina of greatness. This is from the abnorming of events to where the movement is central to the universe. All thought and energy is directed to the cause, consequences are brushed aside for the sake of convenience. So even if the cause is an abject failure,(Munich 1923 Tate LaBianca 1969) the rightness of the cause never dulls, only burns more brightly till the movement fails utterly or succeeds well enough for the thugs to take over. Then superceeded by the bean counters, (Stalin, Brezchnev as an example). Lenin was brilliant but his ideals flawed. Trotsky and Kaminen had a better idea. You see a revolution join for the spoils or stay out. Dont get blinded by the flame.
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     topical backdrop; workplace meditation - (rcareaga) - (20)
         Well Viega, Well done !!! danke, downloaded - (boxley)
         Say it: Yope tvayou maht. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             Arkadiy is not the only one to get it! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Fairly obvious, I thought. -NT - (admin)
             Re: Say it: Yope tvayou maht. - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 You are forgiven for lancing my childhood hero. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     how many Americans would recognise Felix anyway - (boxley)
                     Re: You are forgiven for lancing my childhood hero. - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         My scholarship is too defective to corroborate the - (Ashton) - (1)
                             the heart of any revolution contains its own greatness - (boxley)
         Spaceba! y'all - (Ashton) - (3)
             Re: Spaceba! y'all - (jb4)
             Heh, for those who live near das kapital - (boxley) - (1)
                 I'll contribute to the Peace Kamerade quilt.. Lincoln-size -NT - (Ashton)
         any chance of a slight redo? - (boxley) - (5)
             er while at it: a smaller version for more extensive distrib - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Playing cards would be nice, -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Aha! - drop-in mod for cardbacks in____Solitaire! -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Re: Aha! - drop-in mod for cardbacks in____Solitaire! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             {cackle} - (Ashton)

Happiness is a lint filter full of thwarted pinworms.
47 ms