IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If JotP ceremonies were TRULY "not religious"
then there would be nothing stopping a gay couple from being married by one.

My point is that even in the "not religious" ceremonies there is still a firmly rooted understanding that what is being performed is the judeo-christian marriage rite, only with the name of God taken out.

And it's stupid. There is no reason that a gay couple shouldn't be able to enter into a legally recognized, tax-deductable union recognized by the state, with all legal protections thereof, and there's also no reason a church should feel that their specific understanding of what marriage is must be dictated by the state.

Therefore, the state needs to get out of the marriage business. Don't call it marriage, call it something else entirely, and make it a contract willingly entered between two people that gives you the tax bracket. And just leave it at that.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Just don't call it a "civil union"
On the radio this morning, I heard various groups who were speaking out against proposed changes in government employee insurance coverage which would recognize civil unions. Two religious "leaders" pointed out how they could attest to the "spiritual, emotional and frequently physical harm" that often comes out of non-married cohabitation. They used this as "proof" that same-sex couples shouldn't be allowed to marry.

If you think this sounds like circular reasoning, you are correct. It was actually more blatant in the original than what I recalled here.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Except...
If JotP ceremonies were TRULY "not religious" then there would be nothing stopping a gay couple from being married by one.

Nothing except, of course, state laws proscribing them....
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
     the government needs to get out of the marriage bidness - (boxley) - (22)
         Marriage is not just religious, Box - (jake123) - (20)
             If it's not religious - (cwbrenn) - (8)
                 "not religious" is not the same as - (jake123)
                 Actually, they do - (jb4) - (6)
                     If JotP ceremonies were TRULY "not religious" - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                         Just don't call it a "civil union" - (drewk)
                         Except... - (jb4)
                     Hell, I can marry youse - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Sorry, Ash...you're not my type.... -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                             Give 'em a freebie and__someone'll rush through the crack -NT - (Ashton)
             Tax Breaks - (orion)
             what tax break? We have a marriage PENALTY -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                 Well, I can't say much about that - (jake123) - (5)
                     Not insane - (orion) - (4)
                         orion laments the "marriage penalty" - (rcareaga) - (3)
                             no need to be married to have kids - (boxley)
                             Re: orion laments the "marriage penalty" - (orion) - (1)
                                 Re: orion laments the "marriage penalty" - (rcareaga)
             Other considerations - (mhuber) - (2)
                 Bravo, Mike! - (Ashton)
                 wich is why the gov needs to get out of the marriage bidness - (boxley)
         Senator Frist...hypocrit at large... - (Simon_Jester)

Better than a kick to the head with a frozen mukluk.
70 ms