IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Update Tuesday morning 7/8
followup to this [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=108083|post].

Well, I'm just totally a mental wreck today. Haven't sleep well in days.

My wife and I returned from a 3 day weekend in Columbus, GA so that she can see the place for herself. She is extremely disappointed. Imagine that you're on your third or fourth house, a damn nice one at that, and no matter what you sell it for, that's the purchase price of a home equivalent to your very first place - quite a downgrade. Housing there is expensive, at $90-100/ sq ft and up, and homes between 200-300K are barely bigger than what we had when we first got married: a 3 bedroom, 1 bath town home with no basement. Some of these places have a 4th bedroom, but no other extra rooms like we have currently (4 bedrooms, both formals, a study, and gameroom for the kids). And this is the same for OK City area too.

Overall, doing the two pieces of paper - one for positives about either company/location and the other the minuses - OK City has 21 good things, Columbus, GA has 19. In the minus columns, OK City has 23 items, Columbus has 20. Nothing stands out.

Right now it appears that a coin flip is as good as any way to choose. My wife will dislike, if not hate, either location for the next few years that we're there cause they're smaller towns with many of the things that we're used to having around being absent. The kids will be unhappy because they'll be leaving their friends once again. I'll be unahppy since both positions are a professional regression (going back to the mainframe platform with NO exposure or training on other platforms - have asked both future managers about this).

This is the first time in my life when I have received a job offer where I'm not happy about it, and I don't know how to overcome this negative feeling. I should be happy, but I'm not, since the whole situation leaves me frustrated, confused, having a lack of control over the situation, and worried that I'll fall further behind the technology status quo. I can't figure out what to focus on to help make my decision any easier if at all.

I'm open to suggestions.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Prioritize your list.
Don't just count them up. Assign a numerical value to each item. Then perform a weighted comparison.

Example: if I were weighting things, I would (in this climate) assign a much higher weight to stability of the company. I would assign an increasingly lower weight to liking the new living area as time went on, as I'm sure I'd much prefer to be in a crummy townhome than homeless...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Update Tuesday morning 7/8
This is where the prayer comes in. Some fact will come to light in the lists that will "convince you".

Flipping a coin may not be a bad idea, if you truly can't decide.

You need to "reframe" your thought processes about this, too. I realize that you're leaving friends and "establishment" and that is always scary. However, if you dwell on what you've lost, then it will be more difficult to adapt to the new environment, be it OKC or GA.

Somehow this is God's will or you would have found something locally. Look at it as an opportunity to learn something new.

Also, as far as housing is concerned, I would get an apartment for 2-3 months (or even up to 6) while the house in Katy is selling. Get used to the new job. Spend evenings "looking around". There's always some bargain to be had.

Let me ask this question. If the right housing opportunity made itself available in Columbus or OKC TODAY, would you have enough savings and credit to buy it TODAY? Most people don't have the credit to do two mortgages at once.

When Tina and I moved from Carrollton to Frisco, we sold our house in 6 days. We lived in an apt 3 months while our home was being built. It wasn't exactly a picnic. But, you know, the kids loved being near the pool, and I didn't once have to mow a yard.
New did you look at the "burbs"
I know within a 3/4 hr drive of columbus there is decent housing with 5plus acres in the 200k range, If you are looking for the "in town" amenities it will be expensive but room for a horse and a dirt bike race track might make the kids more amenable.
thanx,
bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Update Tuesday morning 7/8 - (lincoln) - (3)
         Prioritize your list. - (admin)
         Re: Update Tuesday morning 7/8 - (gdaustin)
         did you look at the "burbs" - (boxley)

Not just broken: robustly broken!
32 ms