IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Wow... Marathon Session...
Greg wrote:

I went from Debian Stable Base Config to what my machine is (minus a few things to work around deps on things I have built).

If you're loading Debian-stable with the aim of going immediately to a different branch, then it's in your interest to load Debian-stable in an absolutely minimal situation (preferably with bf2.4 boot flavour), since pretty much everything will get replaced during the subsequent upgrade.

So, if I understand correctly that your desired config actually comprises about 912 packages, you should be able to pare down the process to just the bare-minimal Debian-stable install, plus the 912 packages fetched thereafter.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Depends...
There are some PAM things that seem to require stable -> testing, then testing -> unstable. At least in the last 3 installs I've done over the past two weeks or so.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Depends...
Scott --

I'm not sure what you mean by "require". You might well mean that you encountered some problem and found that technique to get around it. But that begs the question of whether there aren't other, better fixes. (If you're going to run Debian-unstable, you'd better be prepared to deal with breakage. I personally just don't go there.)

In any event, it's always my preference to not cause apt-get to attempt huge jumps in package versions, so as to minimise the likelihood of upgrade glitches, but that doesn't require getting huge numbers of packages from multiple branches. I would tend to proceed as follows:

Install the bare minimum Debian-stable system, e.g., by quitting the installer at the package-selection stage. Then:

apt-get update
apt-get install perl libc6 dpkg apt apt-utils debconf
apt-get dist-upgrade

This will upgrade only a modest number of packages to the latest Debian-stable versions, upgrading the most-crucial packages first.

Now, change /etc/apt/sources.list to point to Debian-testing trees. Again:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

This will upgrade a few more packages, but not many, because the system as a whole remains tiny.

Now, change /etc/apt/sources.list to point to Debian-unstable trees. Again:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

You now have a barebones Debian-unstable system, with minimal likelihood of problems getting there, and can now build up as desired.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Re: Depends...
Worst. Pun. Ever.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Depends on de package...

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
     Wow... Marathon Session... - (folkert) - (6)
         It's a fool's errand - (deSitter)
         Re: Wow... Marathon Session... - (rickmoen) - (4)
             Depends... - (admin) - (3)
                 Re: Depends... - (rickmoen)
                 Re: Depends... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Depends on de package... -NT - (tseliot)

Nothing like the smell of Nadsat in the morning!
62 ms