IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Probe finds IRS workers misuse Internet
[link|http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-030620irs,1,3884800.story?coll=chi-techtopheds-hed|article]

Internal Revenue Service employees using thousands of computers accessed prohibited Web sites that included personal e-mail, sexually explicit sites and games. To Treasury investigators, it was a sign that "significant misuse" of the Internet continues after a crackdown a year ago.

"Employee abuse of the Internet is still widespread," the investigators reported.

The results of the Treasury Department investigation disappointed lawmakers who pushed the IRS to revise its Internet policies and block access to prohibited sites after a study in 2001 showed IRS employees spent more than half their workday on the Internet for personal reasons.

"This is a classic case of people getting an inch and taking a mile," Senate Finance Committee Chairman Charles Grassley said Thursday.

"Nobody should collect a government salary to sit on their behinds and play around in chat rooms," said Grassley, R-Iowa, who oversees the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service.

More than 28 percent of the inappropriate Web browsing was traced to 122 computers, leading investigators to conclude that a small number of employees were chronic abusers.

But the investigators found enough evidence that IRS employees accessed prohibited sites to determine that a large number of employees continue to use the Internet inappropriately. The study could not determine the exact number of employees involved.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Let's crunch those numbers
IRS employees spent more than half their workday on the Internet for personal reasons.
This reads like they're saying overall average. So 50% of all employee-hours are spent surfing.
More than 28 percent of the inappropriate Web browsing was traced to 122 computers
So 122 computers account for 28% of the 50% of all hours: 14%. Let's say those 122 computers were surfing full-time. That would work out to 871.4 (we'll say 872) employees in the IRS. Hmm, sounds small. But if there are more employees than that, the 122 machines could not account for the figures they're quoting.

And regardless of what numbers they're comparing to what, it's clear none of these people had supervisors who had a clue in hell what they did all day. As much time as I may spend here, if I wasn't putting out product at the same time someone would notice.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Gott in Himmel!
Imagine . . .

Sitting there all day, doing your best to screw up Someone's life - for a little while or a l o n g time. (I mean.. how MANY of these guys n'gals have the mission of -- searching for overpayments from the elderly? anal-retentive? just plain fearful-of All that Authority: WHO OVERPAID ?)

..As they blithely ignore Trillions of underpaid faked overseas-cash-cached Corporate accounts [gosh, there's just So Much more paperwork to deal with in Those cases]

So is it any wonder such folks, working the suckers - the small potatoes with No Corp legal beagles - need some diversion from this soul-destroying "work" ?

Walk in moccasins..
(but leave it to a CPA-mind to find Sin. Except Sin in the er algorithm.)

Ashton
     Probe finds IRS workers misuse Internet - (lincoln) - (2)
         Let's crunch those numbers - (drewk)
         Gott in Himmel! - (Ashton)

Did she think she was going to land in the back of a Pier 1 truck carrying papa-san chairs?
42 ms