IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Deep Purple's "Made In Japan"
I've always loved hearing it late at night LOUD!!!
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New too commercial imho
to me the last art album was deep purple in rock. Then the downhill slide into bubblegum. Child in Time played at full volume was pretty good.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

"I get this feeling that this is the last time in history when the offbeats like me will have a chance to live free in the nooks and crannies of the huge and rigid structure of an increasingly codified society. Fifty years from now I would be hunted down in the street. They would drill 3 holes in my skull and make me sensible reliable and adjusted" Travis McGee circa 1964
New Disagree
Box, you gotta look at it as a period piece. A snapshot, if you will, of where metal (or "hard rock" as was referred to at the time) was at the time of its recording. Yeah, its got a lotta "hits" on it...and the material doesn't compare with "Book of Talesyn", but I agree with lincoln that its definately a fine piece of vinyl (which one of these days, I'll get around to converting to CD).

And, yeah, you gotta play it LOUD!
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Smoke on the water? comeon
hey guys we need another track to make the ship date, okay heres a ditty about the time, well you know
Wasnt crafted as much as delivered.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

As the Poets have mournfully sung.
Death takes the innocent young,
The rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
And those who are very well hung.
W.H. Auden
New The album was live
So how could they have used it as a fill-in track?

Besides 'Smoke' is on my list of one of the 5 "all-time greatest Rock songs of all time". Not because it was a stunning piece of music--it wasn't--it's a 70's 3-chord special. Howver, it makes the list because it is a song that everybody recognizes (witness the car commercial where only the first 4 notes are played...everybody recognizes it, even my rock-hating wife); it is quintessentially Rock'n'Roll (with capital letters), and just about every punk kid who's ever picked up an electric guitar instinctively, and irresistably, sooner or later slams out the chords to it. They simply can't help themselves. That's why its on my list.

For the record, I don't particularly like the song either....
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
New exactly needed a piece to fill the album
but as far as the rest of the comments, you are right and it should be included.
thanx,
bill

The rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
W.H. Auden
New Ok...just stop it right there gents.
Made in Japan happened to be recorded during the tour for Machine Head...and as such was an advert for that very album. They were both released in 72...Machine Head early and Made in Japan towards Christmas

Dissing Smoke on the Water is impossible if you intend to keep your Rock roots intact. Oh sure, 30 years later if ranks with Stairway, Freebird and the remaining list of "songs you've heard so many times that your head may explode the next time it comes on the radio"...but what the hell do you think put it on that list in the first place?

Deep Purple was >far< from commercial when the song was cut. What did they have but a couple marginal radio cuts in Burn, Hush, Kentucky Woman, My Woman from Tokyo. You could call them anything >but< commercial at the time. Beatles, Stones, Who...they were the establishment...this hard rock stuff (including Zeppelin) was just coming on (it had been around since 68-9 but wasn't real popular)...in fact people thought that Stairway was the coolest right about that time...it was a long song that they actually played on the radio...and it had been out about 3 months...but Rock and Roll and Black Dog were the songs getting the most play.

They needed a track to fill out the album...and it was common to write during sessions at that time. And the recording sessions for Machine Head were...um...anything BUT a sunday jaunt in the park...and they were described in the words to the song...They ended up at the Grand Hotel using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio...which had to be rushed down due to the demise of the real studio.

Too commercial?? In hindsight maybe...at the time...no way...it was Deep Purple's breakthrough...and its a defining song of Rock music.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Thanks, BeeP
That's why it's on my list of the 5 Greatest Rock & Roll songs of All Time. (I've got it ranked 4th)
jb4
New Breakthru or breakup?
they were on their 2nd frontman and bassist at that point, the band itself had played the Royals with Deep purple in concert with the London Philharmonic, they were freakin HUGE as artists, that album was the commercial crossover, they already had the name for the skill but not the top 40, put that album out and Lord and Blackmore split the difference into Rainbow and purple. So did they go bubblegum for the money in that album? yes. Should Smoke be on an all time best list yes for the reasons that jb and beep put out.
thanx,
bill

The rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
W.H. Auden
New One of those bands ....
...that was defined by a moment...that that was the moment. That lineup will be "Deep Purple" for most...

Ian Gillan (the screamer), Jon Lord, Ritchie B, Ian Paice and Roger Glover.

Gillan left and came back a few times...and they had some real interesting fill-ins...

Coverdale and Joe-Lynn Turner as singers (didn't work for me)

Tommy Bolin, Joe Satriani (satchmo) and Steve Morse (most recent) as fill-ins for Blackmore.

The real core though...Paice, Glover(from 2nd lp) and Lord...have held the band together for better or worse (mostly worst once Blackmore decided he wanted to not deal with it anymore)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Albums with not a single wasted minute - (deSitter) - (46)
         thick as a brick - (boxley) - (3)
             Hey! I *like* "Thick as a Brick!" -NT - (imric) - (2)
                 me too thats why I listed it :) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     ROFLMAO. Mis-read... - (imric)
         Deep Purple's "Made In Japan" - (lincoln) - (9)
             too commercial imho - (boxley) - (8)
                 Disagree - (jb4) - (7)
                     Smoke on the water? comeon - (boxley) - (6)
                         The album was live - (jb4) - (5)
                             exactly needed a piece to fill the album - (boxley) - (4)
                                 Ok...just stop it right there gents. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                     Thanks, BeeP - (jb4)
                                     Breakthru or breakup? - (boxley) - (1)
                                         One of those bands .... - (bepatient)
         ZZ Top, any of 'em -NT - (Silverlock)
         Re: Albums with not a single wasted minute - (inthane-chan)
         My list - (screamer) - (3)
             Hey Dan - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Anytime, it would be great to see you again... - (screamer) - (1)
                     OT your dog pinched your loaf - (boxley)
         Re: Albums with not a single wasted minute - (rcareaga)
         Wow... - (bepatient) - (1)
             Kraftwerk? - (admin)
         Re: Albums with not a single wasted minute - (admin) - (1)
             Cool! I'm not the only Combustible Edison fan! - (Meerkat)
         Not-your-Ordinary-'Brass' lovers - - (Ashton) - (1)
             seconded on amazing profound horns -NT - (boxley)
         Mostly listen to Blues these days... - (ChrisR)
         A few more.... - (Another Scott) - (3)
             The The and XTC - agreed. -NT - (admin)
             DId your wife... - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Nope, but it probably would have been an ideal career. - (Another Scott)
         Re: Albums with not a single wasted minute - (pwhysall)
         A few from me - (jake123)
         Re: Albums with not a single wasted minute - (jb4) - (10)
             Jethro Tull - (rcareaga) - (9)
                 Re: Jethro Tull - (jb4) - (8)
                     songs of the wood was up there also - (boxley) - (7)
                         Make no mistake, "Songs of the Wood" is good stuff. - (jb4) - (6)
                             never heard the stuff, will look it up -NT - (boxley)
                             "Steeleye"? I thought it was "Steely"... You sure? -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                 You're thinking of Steely Dan. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Of course I was - I *read* "Span" as "Dan"! (D'oh, me! :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Hey don't feel bad... - (jb4)
                                 I think it was Steeleye - (mhuber)
         forgot "Jonny Winters Live and" - (boxley)

I think it is I who would be expected to provide the goats as my dowry.
78 ms