IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The case against blaming religion
It's not religion's fault. It's not even Islam's fault. (And no, it's not America's fault either.)

Vincent Carroll says [link|http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-carroll092601.shtml|The fault lies not with the stars, but with ourselves].

Come to think of it, Madalyn Murray O'Hair appears to have been a victim of precisely the sort of violence we wouldn't expect her to have tempted: the non-religious sort. Unless you count greed as a religion.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Religion is a tool.
Tools, themselves, cannot be at fault for something - it is how it is used that causes the problem.

Religion has been used by many people to create mindless zombies that will blindly follow the "doctrines" of their leaders. It has also been used to enlighten and free from the chains of servitude people around the world. A powerful tool is a dangerous one, no matter who's hand wields it.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Nit.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

-William Shakespeare: in the play Julius Caeser.
said by Cassius to Brutus
Alex

Whom the gods destroy, they first make mad. -- Euripides
New Like so many Big words - agree in principle.. but
in practice - the association of sociopathy with religious dogma is inescapable. Maybe the problem is etymology. My ~ 1915 Ed. of the Webster's Unabridged features a sub-note describing 'the problem' (?)

Religion [was] not, as too often now, used as equivalent for godliness; it expressed the outer form and embodiment which the inward spirit of a true or false devotion assumed.

Methinks this "as too often now" may be better differentiated as religiosity, defined therein as,
Quality of being fervidly religious; intense religious feeling or sentiment. (emphasis mine)

However you slice it - recognition of any metaphysical concept as.. possessing validity, representing a dimension within All There Is or Might Be (?) - no less valid for its not being demonstrable:

Says *nothing* of itself - about the regard one has / does not have for other humans - and the laws created by these humans to protect themselves from each other.

Those we call Zealots (and lots of synonyms) go further than such a mere recognition; these place their allegiance and their behavior beyond *any* moderation by fellow humans:

--> not to 'god' per se [!?] but always and everywhere upon - their personal interpretation 'about' such a 'god', its ascribed umm "wishes, likes, dislikes, aims, quirks" -- and various other anthropomorphic ideas seemingly about.. "god's character" [talk about yer oxymorons / and the Infinite]

(We have a special word to describe such presumptuousness, hubris.)

So agreed: 'religion' as a sub-category of metaphysical thought - is no culprit. Adherence to one's own internal fantasy / translated into sociopathy next.. IS the culprit. Every time. (And such a mindset might well be a valid and practical target for assiduous stamping out, at all times and in all places - to whatever extent possible). It's certainly my aim.

My 3 Drachm\ufffd

A.
New Religion is a tool
Is the US up in arms over religion?

No.

But how much religious imagery have you seen in the last month being used to prepare people to support their country through whatever may come?

If you are like me, a heck of a lot.

Religion is sometimes a cause of war, sometimes not. I thin that typically when it is a cause of war, it is a cause for only some of those involved. (For instance part of bin Laden's outrage was for having infidels on holy land during the Gulf War. But for the US that was about oil, not religion. And for Saddam Hussein it was about political power.) But it stirs up powerful emotions, and so is almost always a tool that will be used to engage a population in war.

Finally I am (as I often say) someone who finds concepts like fault, blame, and cause to be useless concepts. I like thinking in terms of contributing factors. So in that language, is religion a contributing factor to war? The answer certainly has to be that it is. Religion provides a simple set of images which can be and is used to motivate people. If the people didn't have faith in religions with common images and plenty of passages which could be used to motivate people to fight, it would be harder to rouse nations and point them towards battle and death.

Cheers,
Ben
     The case against blaming religion - (marlowe) - (4)
         Religion is a tool. - (inthane-chan)
         Nit. - (a6l6e6x)
         Like so many Big words - agree in principle.. but - (Ashton)
         Religion is a tool - (ben_tilly)

Nearly sentient.
37 ms