IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd further argue that it wasn't just templates.
The whole language doesn't scale.

When templates came out we tried to get some serious dynamism into our app (we had what amounted to two different internal implementations of valueholder depending on where you were using the domain object.

Result? 26 hour link times.

We had the vendor's compiler engineer on site and he did some things but ultimately it didn't work well.

We replaced the mechanism with a macro expansion to get decent link times.

We also switched to a massively parallel make system.

Touching a base class or core header file would result in howls of anguish.

I'll note that Cocoa is amazingly successful where Taligent failed. If you look into the taligent code base, you see a lot of NextStep-isms. Taligent was basically an attempt to clone NextStep using C++. It wasn't even thoroughly original in design and it failed because the language wasn't as capable as Objective C.

Another project that suffered the same fate was Lotus Improv. An N-dimensional spreadsheet with killer visualization capabilities. Written on NextStep, all attempted ports failed because they just couldn't work around the rigidity of "conventional" languages.

Stroustrup and Gosling ought to be tried for fraud.

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
New I didn't know that about Improv.
I remember when it appeared and wanted something to use in it so I could get a copy and play with it! :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

C++ Templates killed Taligent. - (Another Scott) - (3)
         ROFL - that's some kind of karmic justice -NT - (deSitter)
         I'd further argue that it wasn't just templates. - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             I didn't know that about Improv. - (static)

Back in my day, if we needed directions we had to slaughter a goat and wiggle the intestines!
55 ms