IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK, this is making me crazy (Sun HW)
I can't get my Sun E250 to see the network.

- The hardware is connected to a good port with a good cable
- The network configuration is correct
- It can see (ping) localhost
- It can see (ping) it's own IP address
- It can't see (ping) anyone else and nobody can ping it.
- I've gone over the configuration multiple times (including down at the eeprom level) and nothing appears unusual.
- The NIC (hme0) shows up in prtconf and in the boot messages so the HW is active.

It's kind of like the definition of hell for engineers (the instruments are perfect but nothing works.)

I get the feeling I'm missing something fundamental here but at this point I have no idea what .

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Don't know Sun stuff...
But I'll chime in anyway.

Either the interface between the motherboard and the NIC isn't working (maybe a software issue), or the interface between the NIC and the network isn't working. That is, the computer can talk to itself, and the network can talk to itself, but packets to/from the CPU aren't getting out on the wire. Since the computer can find the NIC, I'd guess its on the other side - the network side.

Could the CAT-5 (or whatever) socket on the NIC be bad?

Is there anyway to network the Sun box via a different port (e.g. PCs can be networked via parallel ports, etc.)? If so, that might tell you something about the network software if it also doesn't work.

Did it ever work before? If so, what changed? Can you put things back the way they were?

HTH a bit. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New It did work before
This is what bothers me the most.

We moved it to another location and it stopped talking to the network. I suspected the possibility of the PCI NIC coming loose with all the handling and had our techie open it up to look. He says it's okay, but he doesn't know a lot about Sun stuff either.

Guess I'll have to look at it myself.....

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
New Got it working!
First of all, I want to thank everyone who responded, both here and in the UNIX forum.

Anyway, it turned out to be rather stupidly simple, when it came right down to it.

I dug through the owner's manual and found that the link integrity test has to be enabled at both ends for the NIC to function correctly. Somehow that got disabled in the OpenBoot PROM. I reset it, booted up and I'm now running on the LAN at full speed. (Well. 100 megabits anway.)

So, thanks!

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
     OK, this is making me crazy (Sun HW) - (tjsinclair) - (3)
         Don't know Sun stuff... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             It did work before - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 Got it working! - (tjsinclair)

More aluminum-magnesium batons than you can shake a leg at.
67 ms