IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bruce Eckel/Robert Martin moving to Python?
I read a couple of weblogs recently written by Bruce Eckel (Thinking in C++, Thinking in Java ) and Robert C. Martin (editor of the C++ Report) who were formerly static type language nazis that have now gone to the "dark side".

They both were singing the praises of Python in their web logs
[link|http://mindview.net/WebLog/log-0025|Bruce's WebLog] and
[link|http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=4639|Martin's WebLog] and are almost advocating the abandonment of strictly typed languages for Python and C for the sake of faster software development.

They basically say that the eXtreme Programming (XP) movement with the religious dedication to test cases has made static type checking in computer languages irrelevant. You need to test your code through test cases, and if a type problem occurs, your testing should catch it.

It just seems strange to me, that after having been sold the need for strict typing in languages that these two would do an about face.

Perhaps they're just recognizing the NBT (Next Big Thing) and trying to make their segway into it. I don't know, but I'm kind of disingenuous about this.

Glen Austin
New Why? They found something better.
Nothing disingenuous about it.
I've only read the Eckel piece so far.
I agree with him. I also took a C++ seminar from him
once. Very good teacher.

Natural to move to an environment that you can test earlier.

Static typing is not the end result, static typing is the method to ensure better programming in the crappy environment that people are programming in.

So if you no longer find you need it, this is a GOOD thing.
New Pretty much what Todd and I have been saying.
Based on direct experience.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Let me add my small note of agreement.
I've just been through 3 days of a mix of pair-programming development, XP-style, and buddy-style problem solving (different areas of the codebase, natch). I'm having trouble believing how fast we're developing; even with about 40% of our time lost due to problem-solving, we're still about 50% ahead of schedule. I was even tinkering with a class we were inheriting from trying to make the new code work, all the time knowing I never broke any of its own tests.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Bruce Eckel/Robert Martin moving to Python? - (gdaustin) - (3)
         Why? They found something better. - (broomberg)
         Pretty much what Todd and I have been saying. - (admin) - (1)
             Let me add my small note of agreement. - (static)

That thing has got to be the most relentlessly LRPDistic movie ever made.
35 ms