IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The price of progress
[link|http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/5945554.htm|price spiral]

While I'm no longer fretting about deflation, all this progress doesn't come without pain -- much of it concentrated in Silicon Valley.

Big price reductions, also happening in electronics sold to business, are forcing huge changes in the high-tech economy.

Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Computer merged last year in part because declining computer prices made it difficult for the two companies to compete separately against rival Dell. Tens of thousands of HP and Compaq workers lost their jobs as a result.

Sun Microsystems is struggling, and also tossing aside employees, because its core market for Internet servers is under attack from much cheaper boxes based on the same technology as low-cost PCs.

Mom-and-pop computer retailers, who often provided the best and most knowledgeable customer service, are long gone. The profit margins are now too thin to support anything other than gigantic retail chains hiring poorly paid workers who often aren't educated on the products they sell.

These setbacks, however, are probably unavoidable -- the price we pay for low prices.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Do you mean "mom&pop" shop that
sold me a computer with wire in power supply cut so short that the plug popped out at the slightest provocation?

I paid ~$300 more for my next computer. But I got it from Dell. And guesss what, the power supply works. And when a fan was getting a bit noisy, I did not have to lug the whole box to Manhattan (as it happened with another "mom&pop" shop who sold me a machine with defective video card). I called Dell and had the replacement mailed to me in 2 days. They did not mind me installing the thing myself.

I will go to whoever gives me best ownership experience for reasonable money. So far, small shops aren't it.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Re: The price of progress
Electronics of all kinds are cheap because of the powerful design tools that allow a device to be virtually prototyped.

I remember sitting amid a vast pile of IBM MCA Token Ring adapters - they likely sold for around $300 each, and were by then worth about 3 cents each if that. I remember thinking - where are all the EEs now who put kids into college via the pay they got for designing these things? Are they are expendable as this junk?
-drl
     The price of progress - (lincoln) - (2)
         Do you mean "mom&pop" shop that - (Arkadiy)
         Re: The price of progress - (deSitter)

There will be no disappointment.
45 ms