IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Isaac Stern dies at 81
[link|http://archives.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/obituaries/23STER.html?pagewanted=print|Violinist Isaac Stern Dies at 81; Led Efforts to Save Carnegie Hall]
Isaac Stern, a violinist who in his prime was considered one of the great instrumentalists of the 20th century, and who also became an important power broker in the classical music world after he led a successful campaign to save Carnegie Hall from destruction, died at a Manhattan hospital on Saturday. He was 81 and lived in Manhattan and Gaylordsville, Conn.
As the article states, Stern grew up in San Francisco. I met him, some years ago. His personal physician was a friend's grandfather, so when Stern was in town for a performance and planned a visit after, I was invited to dinner, as a young teen. I was also privileged to see him perform a recital in 1998, in San Francisco at Davies Hall.

A great sound has been silenced.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Too bad.
A great musician and definitely not a one dimensional individual. Really a bold man in using his stature in making international political statements. None of the "I'm just an artist." BS.
Alex

Whom the gods destroy, they first make mad. -- Euripides
New A loss to worldwide teaching of beauty, and towards peace.
[link|http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010924/08/ent-obit-stern|One bio]

Anyone who saw the PBS docs. (two) of his trips to China, will understand the magnitude of this loss -- and how very much more was Stern than, merely a virtuoso of his instrument. Look at the faces in those audiences: he was beloved almost on sight, by reputation.

Irreplaceable loss.. and lousy timing - the world has great need of a candidate in training, especially right now.

Yo Yo Ma appears to be such. Perhaps in time-

{sigh}
     Isaac Stern dies at 81 - (kmself) - (2)
         Too bad. - (a6l6e6x)
         A loss to worldwide teaching of beauty, and towards peace. - (Ashton)

No, THIS is the funniest LRPDism...
33 ms