I'm doing my thing at [link|http://www.kimscostumes.com|the costume shop] and a young woman with a pleasant voice calls asking if I have a long shaggy biker wig. And it has to be really convincing, because her boss is going to use it to cross a picket line.

So I've got all these moral questions going through my mind about aiding strike breakers and maybe this is a strike that needs breaking and is it my problem anyway or should I just sell him the stuff, and I'm wondering if he can sue us if he gets his ass kicked or if I'll have some raging teamsters kicking MY ass for helping him. But the issue is moot: I don't carry wigs that realistic. Wigs like that cost big, like $150 to $300 US, and my customers almost always have that willing suspension of disbeleif working for them, so the $20 or $30 wig - which is hard to distinguish at stage distances anyway - is what they order. And he needs it today, not in the 3 business days a special order takes, so I can't help him.

I do have some very realistic beards and mustaches - genuine human hair mounted on fine mesh, glued to the face. Hey, I can even get you a merkin on 3 days notice. Again, not much call for it. Frankly, I think that, like that famous bad call on computers, the worldwide market is about six.

The guy actually came into the shop a couple of days later. Looked at what I have, griped about workers who just don't get it. He's not really management or a scab - he's a contractor there to maintain the equipment the strikers would be using if they weren't on strike. He's not replacing them, just making returning to work possible. Didn't buy anything.

But sheesh - this is the real world. Stuff like that doesn't work here for more than an hour or too.