IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As time goes by....
...I seem to spend more and more time doing dba and anaylst stuff, rather than the out-of-control programmer that has all the fun.

With some major corps breathing down my back, I'm having to get the maximum stressful experience in how to optimize hierarchical databases in a relational database using SQL (more specifically T-SQL). Ok, so I improved the performance by about a factor of five by eliminating some unnecessary cruft and tightening up the algorithms. Performance is fair but not great.

Then I stumble across some papers that bespeak of the difference between Adjacency Models vs Nested Set Models, which makes me wish I'd actually paid attention to that whole idea of sets in college and less on beer.

Are there some stored procs to (a) convert a current adjancency model into nested sets; and (b) maintain the sets with the addition, subtraction or reordering of nodes.

I'd prefer them to be optimized for Transact-SQL at this time. Will be converting to Oracle later, but that's a year and a million details away.

Thanks.
New Well, oddly enough...
The database design here uses nested sets. plpgsql, which is like PL/SQL, so it's not the T-SQL you were looking for. The code can be found in the Source link at the top of the page. It's a little messy too...

I do, however, have some T-SQL nested set stuff somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Found it.
Email address? Or send an email to scottanderson(not malraux)@comcast(not home).net and I'll send it back.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Got your reply. Thanks!!! (new thread)
Created as new thread #102031 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=102031|Got your reply. Thanks!!!]
     As time goes by.... - (ChrisR) - (3)
         Well, oddly enough... - (admin) - (2)
             Found it. - (admin) - (1)
                 Got your reply. Thanks!!! (new thread) - (ChrisR)

We can probably skip drugs and prostitution, but the mortgage business looks good.
67 ms