IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So I decided to put SuSE on my laptop,
and not Debian. I'm almost expecting to be thrashed for it here, but anyone who objects can officially bite me. :) I had a pretty good reason for doing so.

I initially wanted to use Knoppix, but after reading through the install faq that was linked here, I realized that if I did something wrong, the only machine I currently have connected to the internet would be down, and I'd have to ask all my support questions at work. Scratch that. I've loaded and played around with Knoppix on my laptop before, and it works just fine, more or less, but it doesn't recognize my PCMCIA cards so I don't actually have any dialup or network access. (I won't bother mentioning the built-in winmodem, because, well, it's just a freaking appendix as far as I'm concerned. The only thing it's good for is taking up space).

I thought about doing a Debian network install, but DSL isn't hooked up till next week, so I figured, what the hell, and bought SuSE 8.2 professional. And, all things considered, I'm pretty glad I did.

I'm a bit annoyed that I'm still using rpms, but I have to say that as far as configuration software goes, SuSE did a great job with Yast2. It's always been a pretty useful tool, but now it's even comprehensible to people with short attention spans (like me). And because various parts of my thinkpad (specifically, the sound card and the PCMCIA slots) were a bit tricky to deal with, that helped.

I'd also like to say this is the first time a distro's "help system" has ever been of any use to me. Searchable, too... the help system is what made it possible to get my PCMCIA services up and going. And the written documentation is what made it possible to get my sound card working (though not working consistently -- I'm going to have to check the net for specifics concerning that).

apt-get is a great tool if you're actually hooked up to the internet in a reliable manner... since I wasn't, I appreciated the 6 cd's of applications.

At any rate, other than the fact that my laptop is showing its age and giving me arcane bios error messages at bootup (requiring me to power down and restart two or three times before it will actually start the whole boot process), the whole thing went relatively well.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Oh, and as an aside.
I have to say I'm impressed with all the progress the alsa sound drivers have made over the last year. Last year when I tried to put Mandrake linux on this thing alsa just couldn't deal with it, and it choked and died. Now I see that it lists support for every sound card I own, including the 24-bit card on my windows machine! Though I did need to run alsaconf and have it probe irqs in order to get the sound on my laptop working.
- Edward Young
New ALSA is fabulous...
...apparently. It's the very devil to install, which is why it's only really a runner if your distro supports it by default.

Word on the street is, ALSA is to be the default sound architecture supported by the kernel in 2.6.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Aye... same thing
I've heard too... and by reading at www.kerneltrap.com as well.

BTW, Debian's install of Alsa works in Sarge and Sid... haven't had the chance to try it in Woody. The only thing I holler about is the shiiteload of modules it uses... Sheesh!

snd-seq-midi            3424   0  (autoclean) (unused)\nsnd-emu10k1-synth       4028   0  (autoclean) (unused)\nsnd-emux-synth         24508   0  (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1-synth]\nsnd-seq-midi-emul       4544   0  (autoclean) [snd-emux-synth]\nsnd-seq-virmidi         2808   0  (autoclean) [snd-emux-synth]\nsnd-seq-oss            24288   0  (unused)\nsnd-seq-midi-event      3208   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-virmidi snd-seq-oss]\nsnd-seq                38416   2  [snd-seq-midi snd-emux-synth\n                                   snd-seq-midi-emul snd-seq-virmidi\n                                   snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]\nsnd-pcm-oss            37956   1\nsnd-mixer-oss          11608   1  [snd-pcm-oss]\nsnd-emu10k1            59956   2  [snd-emu10k1-synth]\nsnd-hwdep               4544   0  [snd-emu10k1]\nsnd-pcm                57344   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-emu10k1]\nsnd-page-alloc          4416   0  [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm]\nsnd-timer              14536   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]\nsnd-ac97-codec         31776   0  [snd-emu10k1]\nsnd-rawmidi            12928   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-virmidi snd-emu10k1]\nsnd-seq-device          4004   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-emu10k1-synth\n                                   snd-emux-synth snd-seq-oss snd-seq\n                                   snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]\nsnd-util-mem            1360   0  [snd-emux-synth snd-emu10k1]\nsnd                    29476   0  [snd-seq-midi snd-emux-synth\n                                   snd-seq-virmidi snd-seq-oss\n                                   snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss\n                                   snd-mixer-oss snd-emu10k1 snd-hwdep\n                                   snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec\n                                   snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-util-mem]

Yikes! But it works very well... better than the other options out there as far as I can tell. It also support sharing the same device extrememly well, I had 4 different "things" addressing the sound device at the same time... I heard all four distinctly.
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
The time has come for you to take the last step.
You must love THEM.
It is not enough to obey THEM.
You must love THEM.

PEACE BEGETS WAR, SLAVERY IS FREEDOM, STRENGTH IN IGNORANCE.
New Re: Aye... same thing
In SuSE 8.0 one had to manually install the kernel modules as an add-on package and then separately compile them - but basically it was

cd /usr/src/packages/alsa

./configure --with-oss=yes --with-seq=yes --with-cards=Spiffo --with-isapnp=yes

make

make install

In 8.2 it's integrated.

The problem issues came from inappropriate entries in modules.conf.
-drl
New Good Man
One caveat with alsa - be sure when you make a custom kernel you don't double select your sound card! That is - I assume your on 8.2 - deselect all the sound cards on the first "Sound" screen, go to the bottom to the "Alsa" submenu, and pick the card from that list.

Play with the themes. The "System++" theme is magnificent with the "Kwix" window decoration.
-drl
New I just used alsaconf...
... and it seems to work -- although every time I reboot, I get sound everywhere except when I start up "Civilization: Call to Power" -- I have to run alsaconf *again* to get it to work there. Not sure why, like I said, it works fine everywhere else.
- Edward Young
New Arts is definitely still WIP
What's you 'Pad?
-drl
New TP 600.
Uses Crystal drivers, 4236 if I remember the number correctly.
- Edward Young
     So I decided to put SuSE on my laptop, - (cwbrenn) - (8)
         Oh, and as an aside. - (cwbrenn) - (7)
             ALSA is fabulous... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Aye... same thing - (folkert) - (1)
                     Re: Aye... same thing - (deSitter)
             Good Man - (deSitter) - (3)
                 I just used alsaconf... - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                     Arts is definitely still WIP - (deSitter) - (1)
                         TP 600. - (cwbrenn)

Got Snow, Greg?
92 ms