IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As opposed to Windows?!?!?
After being around UNIX long enough you get a "feeling" for what might be happening, and that allows you to track down the issue.

As opposed to Windows where strange stuff happens and you have no idea how to track down what's wrong. E.g. I have a Pentium III-500 SCSI Win95B box on Ethernet that is unable to find the TCP/IP network after a while for no apparent reason and no obvious way to figure out what's causing it. At least with UNIX - and Linux - there are ways to figure out what's going on under the covers. With Windows there are hidden tunnels under the sheets that MS doesn't want you snooping around in...

Me: My PC can't find the TCP/IP network after it's been running a while.

MS:
1) Oh, that. Well you need to purchase a service contract before I can talk to you.
2) Oh, that. Well you need to reinstall.
3) Oh, that. Well you need to upgrade to WinXP Pro.
4) Oh, that....

Cheers,
Scott.
New Very True
Even if Windows were internally perfect, the deliberate obscurity would still be a major pain.

(As to the problem - could power management be shutting down the adapter? Second thought - after some interval another computer wins a browser election, and that hoses you because there is a hidden problem with WINS. Set "LM Announce" and "Browse Master" to "Yes".)
-drl
New Answers
1) There's no power management enabled on the PC.
2) It's an Intel Pro/100+ Ethernet adapter. It's on a 100 Mbit lan hooked into a Linsys 10/100 Hub.
3) WINS isn't used. The IP address is correct and is set manually. The DNS addresses are correct and set manually.
4) The PC is on 24/7 for weeks at a time, but the problem doesn't seem to be related to the 40-some-odd-day-uptime-clock-rollover bug in Win9x.

It seems like it loses track of the DNS when the problem happens. Sometimes the problem happens less than 10 minutes after rebooting, but it hasn't happened recently (uptime = 3 days 21 hours+).

"Upgrading" to another version of Windows isn't an option as the PC uses some hardware that doesn't have drivers for newer versions of Windows.

Thanks for your help. See, that wasn't so hard was it? :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Make an LMHOSTS file
Set LM Announce to "Yes" still, but don't worry about the Browse Master.

Old Windows has issues related to WINS/DNS interaction - and by WINS, we mean how Windows resolves NetBIOS names to IP addresses (not just a WINS server).
-drl
New It's just a TCP/IP issue.
Not NetBIOS.

I'll muck around with it later when I get a chance. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Various reasons why I hate Linux - (cwbrenn) - (21)
         iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccc.................... -NT - (imric)
         A much clearer explanation - (cwbrenn) - (19)
             oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. - (imric)
             Hate to say it, but.. Y'know what this is like? - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Nah. - (imric) - (7)
                     well, it hasn't taken much effort to screw this up - (cwbrenn) - (6)
                         Who knows - (imric) - (2)
                             Yeah. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                 Aye. -NT - (imric)
                         What causes most of the problems with Linux distros... - (Steven A S) - (2)
                             Actually - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 That's *not* true - (kmself)
             Re: A much clearer explanation - (deSitter) - (8)
                 Whoa. Where did you find this thread? - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                     Post 8118 was edited - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         So, is anal-compulsive... - (kmself)
                 As opposed to Windows?!?!? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Very True - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Answers - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Make an LMHOSTS file - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 It's just a TCP/IP issue. - (Another Scott)

Ahead one third!
91 ms