IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "PeopleSoft Jumps On The Linux Train "
Apparently convinced that Linux presents a real business opportunity, PeopleSoft today said that by year's end, every one of its 170 business applications will run on the free Linux operating system. The move will eventually open up a new revenue stream for the software firm, which stung investors in the first quarter with a 40% shortfall in new software license revenue.

PeopleSoft until now had developed software only for Unix and Windows systems. But with Unix on the wane and customers unwilling to spend big dollars on much of anything, Linux presents an opportunity.

Customers want to "leverage the cost effectiveness of Linux and deploy it on low-cost hardware," says David Sayed, a PeopleSoft manager.
[link|http://www.forbes.com/2003/05/06/cx_ld_0506psft.html|Forbes] article.
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
New But, the'll do much of it in India. :(
[link|http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030506/1420001215_1.html|PeopleSoft To Open Services Lab In India, Embrace Linux].
Along with the usual crush of product updates that accompany customer conferences, PeopleSoft Inc. (NasdaqNM:PSFT - News) said Tuesday it's shifting some consulting work to India and embracing the Linux operating system.
o o o
By choosing India, the company can take advantage of a well-educated technical work force that command far lower salaries. It can also work on projects 24 hours a day. Several rival software companies, including Oracle Corp. and i2 Technologies Inc. , have already announced plans to shift consulting or development work to India.
o o o
In a March report entitled "The Linux Tipping Point," Forrester Research said companies that have used Linux to run their Web sites are now looking at moving their business applications to Linux servers.
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
New Re: But, the'll do much of it in India. :(
Well, it's not like I didn't warn everyone - poor Ross, ranting again :)
-drl
New Naw, we half agreed with you...
...the threat of outsourcing was real. No argument from any of us here.

What we took umbrage to for the most part was the charactarization of Indians as being somehow doing something wrong, as opposed to the owners of the companies exploiting them and us.

The real key is to get them to unionize. :)
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New I know how to fix that -
Union Rule #1:

Every Indian programmer gets a free SUV, fuelled by the home-company 'leasing' him/her. And meds, cel-fone, joystick.

Spread the US Joy just Everywhere. Teach the world about umm congestion. And er 'equal pay for equal work'.
Oh wait: we're already Doing that.
New Re: Naw, we half agreed with you...
The thing with India is the Final Solution to the Aryan problem. It's in a way extremely excellent, because it may be saying that underneath all the Iceman BS - the US people themselves are very comfortable with their very distant cousins.

But, I get irked at this PHB myth that they are better than us - they are NOT. Those jobs for Americans, to enable raising more Americans, are gone, and it's a tragedy.

For myself, I can't really worry - but nerds are sensitive and I can only guess what a lot of people are going through.

Does that make my position clear?
-drl
New Clear as mud.
Now what I *think* you're saying now is a) PHBs think that Indians make better developers and b) they aren't better developers.

The real issue isn't actually a) - it's c) they cost a hell of a lot less than U.S. developers, and PHBs haven't gotten their mind around the idea that throwing more manpower at a project doesn't make it come in quicker or better. They just see the x*y math, and that's it.

It's like the pot full of crabs. None of them escape because they all knock each other down trying to climb out.
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New In the long run, this will actually help us.
Look, far too many "white-collar workers" (WCW) in this country think the "blue-collar workers" (BCW) got what they deserved in the 70's and 80's. The WCW reasoned, "If only they had educated themselves... We don't need the 'stupid jobs' here...They only lost their jobs because 'they didn't keep up'..., etc."

Now it's our turn. And the sooner we realize that we, the educated class, have far more in common with the uneducated working class and, most importantly, that we have a common enemy in Corporate Murica, the closer we will be to righting the ship. The Marxist Revolution will come, it will just take longer than many expected.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Yes, but in the short run I have to learn to like MGD. X{

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Is that "bitter beer face"?
Miller used to be good beer! Don't know what happened. It was light and airy and tart, now it's thick and heavy like Bud.

-drl
New How can you put miller and good beer in the same sentence?
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Well ... *you* just did ...
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Answer to both: "The way Jake just did, for instance." :-)
     "PeopleSoft Jumps On The Linux Train " - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
         But, the'll do much of it in India. :( - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
             Re: But, the'll do much of it in India. :( - (deSitter) - (10)
                 Naw, we half agreed with you... - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                     I know how to fix that - - (Ashton)
                     Re: Naw, we half agreed with you... - (deSitter) - (7)
                         Clear as mud. - (inthane-chan)
                         In the long run, this will actually help us. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                             Yes, but in the short run I have to learn to like MGD. X{ -NT - (tseliot) - (4)
                                 Is that "bitter beer face"? - (deSitter) - (3)
                                     How can you put miller and good beer in the same sentence? -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                         Well ... *you* just did ... -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                             Answer to both: "The way Jake just did, for instance." :-) -NT - (CRConrad)

I had to wonder. What does a Drag Sheep wear? Wolf's clothing?
61 ms