IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My code does crash, but not as often as you think.
First, if you follow my posts, you'll know that my typing skills (such as they are) are nothing short of abyssmal. ;-)

I must say, I'm a bit confused by this, as what you've done by typing the parametters as const T& is using the C++ mechanism for enjoining the compiler from doing a type promotion on a parameter, then complaining that it won't do type promotions.

Funny, I thought I was employing the C++ mechanism for reducing stack growth.

To a degree, that's true. But you have also enjoined the compiler from doing the standard promotions. Which is OK, but if you're going to do that, you need to be aware of the side effects. (I understand that Perl has similar syntatical quirks that will screw up the illiterati if they're not fully grokked.)

Boy, we've sure thought a lot about types without giving what the heck we're supposed to be doing a lick of thought.

I disagree. We have been spending a lot of time decising the kinds of operations we need to do on a BigAssClass, or a BigAssOrderedType. Your preceding paragraph specified what we want to be able to do. Now, given the tools available to do that, we start planning how to do it. If my tool set includes C++ , then I worry about how to manipulate the types to permit me to get where I want. If I have access to Python, or Objective C, then a whole different set of manipulations will have to occur. (If all I have is C# or Visual Basic, please put me out of my misery ASAP....) I will freely admit that the implementational issues that C++ presents are...unique...and and not always straightforward. But you will have a tough time convincing me that these other languages bandied about in this thread as panaceas to all the ills of programming ever foisted upon mankind are without their own set of problems, peculiarities, and pecadilloes.

jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think.
But you will have a tough time convincing me that these other languages bandied about in this thread as panaceas to all the ills of programming ever foisted upon mankind are without their own set of problems, peculiarities, and pecadilloes.

Answer #1: especially if you never try them out.
Answer #2: I don't think anyone is trying to convince you of that. What we are trying to convince you of is the fact that C++ has serious problems, much more so than other languages.

Still waiting for you to respond to the two large posts that Todd and I put together for you, BTW.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Replies coming
Posts read, and comments pending. Hard to find a suitable time to respond in full under current workload (esp considering my typing skilz...;-) )
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think.

We have been spending a lot of time decising the kinds of operations we need to do on a BigAssClass, or a BigAssOrderedType. Your preceding paragraph specified what we want to be able to do. Now, given the tools available to do that, we start planning how to do it.

Well, unfortunately, when you define that max function in terms of T, you know have to keep in the back of your mind the potential effects of calling max(SomethingYouDidntReallyThinkThatHardAbout,SomethingElseYouDidntReallyThinkThatHardAbout);

IOW, that template mechanism paints with an infinitely broad brush and you now have to understand its exact expansion, along with expansions of any possible specializations you have (or your team mate wrote and didn't tell you about), and any automatic type conversion operators you've written along with any single argument constructurs you have.

To illustrate this, allow me to tell you about a short little gig I had as a porting engineer. During a development cycle when everybody was working on windows (except me, 'cause I just don't do windows), I would check out the code every morning and spend hours trying to build it - fixing portability issues and sending out hate mail to the team about some of their stupid assumptions.

One day I hit a compile error on something like:

CustomString str = "foo";
... return foo + "bar";

I looked up the developer and showed him the header for CustomString (this is before stl compiled anywhere other than Borland btw) and pointed out that there was no operator+ implemented on CustomString. He seemed perplexed because it worked fine on Windows. And so it did. As CustomString had an operator const char* defined, the MSString object had a ctor for const char*, an operator+, and an operator const char*. As we traced the execution we found that the compiler on windows had figured out it could construct a temp MSString (whatever they call it, I forget), do the operator+, then construct CustomString temp off the MSString's operator const char*.

Something like that - but the type conversions/automatic operator calls were several layers deep and of course there is no MSString for unix.

This lead me to conclude that the C++ type system is too complex for any human to predict what will happen for a given bit of code, and the introduction of a single function linking a couple types together and have far reaching unintended consequences on the system's overall behavior.

Thus, I boldly make the statement "C++ doesn't scale".

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:39:07 AM EDT
     C++ File I/O: Windows vs. Linux - (tjsinclair) - (85)
         Wild guess - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Nope - (tjsinclair)
         Permissions problem? - (tuberculosis) - (16)
             Possibly - (tjsinclair) - (15)
                 The only dumb question is... - (jbrabeck) - (14)
                     Thanks - (tjsinclair) - (13)
                         I'd second the permissions... - (jbrabeck) - (12)
                             Played with error bits - (tjsinclair) - (11)
                                 C++ for real work - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                     telco's use lots of c++ -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                                         on UNIX? - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                                             well several softswitches and other software (added link) - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Yeah - OS level code I think - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     Stacked based types? - (deSitter)
                                             some more info on c++ Unix and Telcos and jobs - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 CORBA == Objects, so makes sense - (tjsinclair)
                                                 Resume mailed -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                     Someone somewhere must be using it - (tjsinclair)
                                     Network Management software - (Arkadiy)
         I don't know C++ but... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Seems like it ought to raise an exception on failure -NT - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 It does - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                     Erroring out? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         I checked the ios error flags - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                             Thats not raising an exception - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Agreed - (tjsinclair)
         Got it! - (tjsinclair) - (58)
             Now, this is really scary - (Arkadiy) - (53)
                 Even scarier - (tjsinclair) - (52)
                     At this point, one wants to,, - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Ross, do we need a refresher... - (jb4) - (2)
                             I would completely agree with you except - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                                 Wow! - (jb4)
                     Which version of gcc? - (admin)
                     So, let me get this straight... - (Arkadiy) - (46)
                         Something like that, yes - (tjsinclair) - (44)
                             I've been trying to do that for years - (tuberculosis)
                             Barney is not responsible... - (jb4) - (42)
                                 Move farther up the food chain - (tuberculosis) - (41)
                                     OK, I'll bite... - (jb4) - (39)
                                         Errr... - (admin) - (34)
                                             I've heard strong typing called several different things... - (jb4) - (33)
                                                 Strict typing is like training wheels. - (admin) - (32)
                                                     Re: Strict typing is like training wheels. Or Helmuts? - (jb4) - (31)
                                                         You have much to learn - (tuberculosis) - (23)
                                                             Irony - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                                                                 Additionally... - (admin) - (21)
                                                                     That's the C++ propaganda - (tuberculosis) - (20)
                                                                         Wrong usage - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                                             Return value problem - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                                 I'll take a look for the solution for ret value - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Re: Return value problem - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                     In the end - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                         A better statically typed language - have you tried Haskell? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                             Read the tutorials - (tuberculosis)
                                                                                         Today's link at /. - (Arkadiy)
                                                                         Interesting example, Todd - (jb4) - (11)
                                                                             Umm... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                                 And what would you cast the void* back to afterwards? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Yeah, you'd have to test for the type... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                         Aaaaaahhhhhhh! - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             *chuckle* - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                 Oh, you illustrated several problems - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             Your code should crash - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                         Replies coming - (jb4)
                                                                                     Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Finally, something other than hand-waving. - (admin) - (6)
                                                             Hey I know Java - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                 Whoops, forgot that one. - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     I always sit on a towel when using it - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                         Interesting... I find I get more use out of... - (admin)
                                                             I've done it - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                 Re: I've done it - (admin)
                                         How? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                             Erm? - (jb4) - (2)
                                                 GNU CPP version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     Sorry to hear that...:-( - (jb4)
                                     Well said, exactly correct -NT - (deSitter)
                         This is frigging runtime lib bug, not language - (Arkadiy)
             You were mis-using the flags... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 I thought of that - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                     For what it's worth, code also runs... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Figured that -NT - (tjsinclair)

I have this theory about the Brontosaurus...
200 ms