IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And what would you cast the void* back to afterwards?

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:38:46 AM EDT
New Yeah, you'd have to test for the type...
or assign it to a base class pointer that the two types are dervived from.

Of course, there are cases were you'd have to the for type for your max macro.
sprintf("%d", max(long, float));

New Aaaaaahhhhhhh!

sprintf("%d", max(long, float));

Why don't you just juggle torches while you gas up your car?

First, you're short an argument to sprintf - you forgot the destination buffer.
Second, the xxxxf family (scanf, printf, and their variants), have no place in C++.

Use strstreams.

char buffer[50];
ostrstream ost(buffer,sizeof(buffer));

ost << (max(aLong, aFloat)) << ends;

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:39:11 AM EDT
New *chuckle*
d00d, that was off the cuff. It wasn't meant to be code perfect - just to illustrate a problem with max.

Second, use stringstreams. strstreams are the old style char* stuff, iirc. You have to unfreeze any .str() you create via them...yuk.
New Oh, you illustrated several problems
max was the least of them.

Thanks for the tip on the updated streams. I can't say they're an improvement though.

Item 1: YTF did they blend istream and ostream in stringstream? Can you use it as a queue? Will it block on reads or throw an exception? We already have pipes for this stuff.

Item 2: The new version is written in terms of string. This is OK, but string does heap allocation all the time so for small buffers its likely to suck compared to stack memory. You'll note that in my code I don't need to call str or freeze as I already have the buffer. So it looks like streaming to a known memory location is no longer supported. So much for high performance code.

Item 3: You can construct one with no buffer (it'll use a string) or a const string&. Nifty. Suppose I want to stream into my own string. I'll miss WriteStream on: myString.

WTF are this people thinking?

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:39:47 AM EDT
     C++ File I/O: Windows vs. Linux - (tjsinclair) - (85)
         Wild guess - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             Nope - (tjsinclair)
         Permissions problem? - (tuberculosis) - (16)
             Possibly - (tjsinclair) - (15)
                 The only dumb question is... - (jbrabeck) - (14)
                     Thanks - (tjsinclair) - (13)
                         I'd second the permissions... - (jbrabeck) - (12)
                             Played with error bits - (tjsinclair) - (11)
                                 C++ for real work - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                                     telco's use lots of c++ -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                                         on UNIX? - (tjsinclair) - (6)
                                             well several softswitches and other software (added link) - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Yeah - OS level code I think - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     Stacked based types? - (deSitter)
                                             some more info on c++ Unix and Telcos and jobs - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 CORBA == Objects, so makes sense - (tjsinclair)
                                                 Resume mailed -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                     Someone somewhere must be using it - (tjsinclair)
                                     Network Management software - (Arkadiy)
         I don't know C++ but... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Seems like it ought to raise an exception on failure -NT - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 It does - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                     Erroring out? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         I checked the ios error flags - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                             Thats not raising an exception - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Agreed - (tjsinclair)
         Got it! - (tjsinclair) - (58)
             Now, this is really scary - (Arkadiy) - (53)
                 Even scarier - (tjsinclair) - (52)
                     At this point, one wants to,, - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Ross, do we need a refresher... - (jb4) - (2)
                             I would completely agree with you except - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                                 Wow! - (jb4)
                     Which version of gcc? - (admin)
                     So, let me get this straight... - (Arkadiy) - (46)
                         Something like that, yes - (tjsinclair) - (44)
                             I've been trying to do that for years - (tuberculosis)
                             Barney is not responsible... - (jb4) - (42)
                                 Move farther up the food chain - (tuberculosis) - (41)
                                     OK, I'll bite... - (jb4) - (39)
                                         Errr... - (admin) - (34)
                                             I've heard strong typing called several different things... - (jb4) - (33)
                                                 Strict typing is like training wheels. - (admin) - (32)
                                                     Re: Strict typing is like training wheels. Or Helmuts? - (jb4) - (31)
                                                         You have much to learn - (tuberculosis) - (23)
                                                             Irony - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                                                                 Additionally... - (admin) - (21)
                                                                     That's the C++ propaganda - (tuberculosis) - (20)
                                                                         Wrong usage - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                                             Return value problem - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                                                 I'll take a look for the solution for ret value - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Re: Return value problem - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                                     In the end - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                                                         A better statically typed language - have you tried Haskell? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                             Read the tutorials - (tuberculosis)
                                                                                         Today's link at /. - (Arkadiy)
                                                                         Interesting example, Todd - (jb4) - (11)
                                                                             Umm... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                                 And what would you cast the void* back to afterwards? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                     Yeah, you'd have to test for the type... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                         Aaaaaahhhhhhh! - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                             *chuckle* - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                 Oh, you illustrated several problems - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             Your code should crash - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                 My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                                     Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                         Replies coming - (jb4)
                                                                                     Re: My code does crash, but not as often as you think. - (tuberculosis)
                                                         Finally, something other than hand-waving. - (admin) - (6)
                                                             Hey I know Java - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                 Whoops, forgot that one. - (admin) - (2)
                                                                     I always sit on a towel when using it - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                         Interesting... I find I get more use out of... - (admin)
                                                             I've done it - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                                 Re: I've done it - (admin)
                                         How? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                             Erm? - (jb4) - (2)
                                                 GNU CPP version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     Sorry to hear that...:-( - (jb4)
                                     Well said, exactly correct -NT - (deSitter)
                         This is frigging runtime lib bug, not language - (Arkadiy)
             You were mis-using the flags... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 I thought of that - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                     For what it's worth, code also runs... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Figured that -NT - (tjsinclair)

The man with the reverse Midas touch.
127 ms