IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wasn't it Fat Tony
Scalia who said innocense was no grounds for appeal? Or was it Rehnquist? Somebody, I know. Too lazy to look it up, unless some one wants me to.

If this goes to the USSC, I think it'll be reversed. Precedent, and all that.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New The end of that great Confucius essay on Language is -
... then Justice will go astray. If that happens, the people will stand about in helpless confusion. Hence it matters above all else that Language be correct.

(recap: He was asked what it was he would do, were it left to him to govern the country. "It would be, to correct Language", he replied. "Surely this cannot be {so important? gotta find my copy} - why should language be correct?". ... "If what is said is not meant, then what ought to be done remains undone. If {that occurs} then ...")

{sigh} We are living out this parable in spades. (And we imagine selves so much Smarter than them Old Ones - which adds the hubris to reinforce the courageofourconvictions -- see Texas, USSC, White House, Lott, NewMuricanCentury re what to do with them convictions.)

Ashton
just passing through this morass
Inquiring minds want to scream
Arkadiy
New American justice
The time: about 20 years ago

The place: a fish & chips joint on Shattuck Avenue, downtown Berkeley. RC orders lunch; finds proprietress (English) discussing recent outrageous conduct of British lager louts at soccer match with fellow subject of Elizabeth II. Consensus; what they need back home is a good solid dose of American-style policing. The savagery and brutality of American police known the world over; a whiff of this would be sufficient to cow the louts and restore order. Yes, US cops may be among the nastiest in the world, but they get the job done, etc., etc. -- all set forth with no irony whatsoever.

To see ourselves as others see us, I reflected at the time.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
     innocent guy dodges bullet - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Poor Iraq.. -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: innocent guy dodges bullet - (deSitter)
         Wasn't it Fat Tony - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             The end of that great Confucius essay on Language is - - (Ashton) - (1)
                 American justice - (rcareaga)
         Postulated, if a death penalty is a nescessary thing - (boxley)

Hey, it's a hard day's work in the pits of Minas Morgul, orking cows all day...
39 ms